Ten Used Porsche Models You Can Afford

When most people think of Porsches, they picture sleek, uber-powerful performance cars with a price tag to match. This is for good reason: the iconic 911 will set you back over $100,000 with all the options.

But what if you want to own a Porsche but can’t afford to pay top dollar? Luckily, there are plenty of used Porsches on the market that won’t blow a hole in your budget.

1. Porsche 911SC

Made in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the funky tartan interior of this air-cooled sports car is something of an acquired taste.

Look beneath the surface, however, and you’ll find a solid 3.0-liter engine that, at the time, was a huge improvement in reliability from the 2.7-liter unit that came before it.

With a fully galvanized body shell – an industry first – the 911SC is pretty much bulletproof, and will last almost forever if properly taken care of.

The SC (for Super Carrera) was originally produced in Coupe and Targa form. The run was extended in 1983 to include a Cabriolet.

The first two years’ production runs had a few issues, so look for models dating from 1980 through 1983. Parts are still in reasonable supply, which is another great selling point.

With a maximum speed of 136 miles per hour, the 911SC is not the fastest 911 model on the market. But it is still capable of good performance, with a 0 to 60 mph acceleration time of 6.7 seconds.

Decent, well-maintained models start at around $15,000, with mint units coming in around $25,000.

Best of all, 911SCs have been holding these prices for the last five or 10 years, so you can drive it, treat it well, and then sell it for more or less what you paid.

1. DC is Evil

May 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm

What? No mention of the 959? Lulz….

• nogeeksadmin

May 19, 2014 at 3:50 pm

The article is about affordable Porsches. The lulz are on you.

• DC is Evil

May 20, 2014 at 2:57 am

Do yourself a favor and take your sarcasm filter to the repair shop. It’s not working.

2. SouthSideSkeptic

May 13, 2014 at 4:54 pm

The buy-in price can be deceptive. The keeping costs can be daunting. Some of these cars are 30 years old or older. Lots of dried out rubber and gaskets. The fuel injection hoses on the cars that have it should be inspected and probably changed. A little time consuming but not real difficult. Not doing and the car could go up in flames.

If you buy one of these cars, buy the best one you can afford. You can’t afford a cheap one.

• Tom

May 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I agree, for instance the battery on a 928 is a Bosch and costs upwards of $500 by itself. The Porsche service departments don’t work cheap either. I finally sold mine when the Cruise Control got erratic and the State of Texas was threatening to take my license (speeding tickets).

• LlarryLLama

June 1, 2014 at 1:48 pm

you were lucky the thing even ran..it was basically just a V8 version of the 924, an unreliable rust bucket, even by Porsche standards..Don’t get me wrong..I’d love to have any of the 911-derivative Porsches, but none of the others..

• SouthSideSkeptic

June 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Find it hard to believe that the battery for a 928 is $500. Listing I looked at says it is a group 41 size so that is widely available. And something can be worked out. Had a neighbor years ago that had a MB diesel. Battery looked like it came from a salvaged U-boat. 2 standard batteries, some connector cables and wood blocks and it was OK.

As for your blaming your speeding tickets on your erratic cruise control: Come on, man!! You can come up with a better excuse than that!! No state in the Union is gonna buy that lame-o reason. Should have just told the LEO “It’s a Porsche and I can’t control myself. Want to try it?”

• Bob

June 2, 2014 at 1:39 am

Yes to that, buy the best you can afford. These are not the cars to go cheap on. I’ve done this twice (356 & 912…almost like VW Bugs of old, can drop your own engine in a little over an hour). I have good memories and bad, but in either case you will, as in will, be on a first name basis with your mechanic of choice (sometimes as exotic as ongoing emails with a guy who worked on Seinfeld’s cars…).
      Are 912s really going for $15K? I hope my brother in law is happy. I’d be looking at the Boxsters now.

3. BrunoT

May 13, 2014 at 5:36 pm

If I’m going to be hanging it out there on curves, I want the best safety features available, within reason. No thanks on the oldies but goodies.

• Detex

May 16, 2014 at 3:45 pm

maybe just learn to drive or slow down…

• nogeeksadmin

May 19, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Maybe Bruno knows a lot more about the early 911 than you do. Just a thought. 😉

• Chris

May 22, 2014 at 10:40 pm

haha, yes, 911s are notorious for trying to kill you..its just physics, too much weight behind rear wheels….but would still love to own one some day!

4. I brake for pedestrians

May 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Some of the specs reported at this website are misleading. For example, it says the 914 accelerated from 0-60 in 13 seconds. That is true for the 1.7 L. The 1.8 L went from 0-100 kph (62.5 mph) in 12 sec., and the 2.0 L reached the same speed in 10.5 sec.

5. Dee

May 14, 2014 at 12:59 am

been down that road. here’s how it works: buy it for 15k, drop 30k into the next few years, finally throw in the towel sell it for 9k and be happy you even get that.

6. JimmyGee

May 16, 2014 at 7:03 pm

The author neglected to mention the 914-6 which did have a genuine 6 cylinder Porsche engine.

• rps

May 29, 2014 at 3:40 pm

The key word is “affordable.” A quick look at http://www.hemmings.com/ classifieds/carsforsale/porsche/914_6 shows 4 actual 914-6’s for sale, ranging from $47,500 to $75,000 (one had no asking price; there was also a clone listed for $41,500.)

[The 914-6 was the one I lusted for as a lad.]

• JimmyGee

July 9, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I stand corrected – I had no idea that they had gone up in value so much. Thanks for setting me straight!

7. First

May 16, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Actually, when I think Porsche, I picture a 30-50 year old douche that is trying to compensate for something.

• nogeeksadmin

May 19, 2014 at 3:48 pm

That “30 to 50 year old douche” as you so lovingly wrote, is more likely 50-70, recently divorced, and driving a 2014 vehicle purchased from the proceeds of the sale of his house.

• Guy

May 19, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Why, because they can afford a good car that they like to drive? Everyone normal has to own a bad or completely boring car?

• $25066802

May 19, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I think of someone who likes to drive the best handling sports car money can buy. The 911 has absolutely dominated the competition on the track even though it is usually running 100 HP less. As far as the compensating type, they are usually driving big block 8, 10, and 12 cylinder engine cars. With the 911 maxing out at 6 cylinders, doesn’t really fit the bill.

• Chris

May 22, 2014 at 10:45 pm

You clearly don’t under stand people who love cars and want a car that is more than just transportation, so why dd you even bother to click on the article and then write a comment? Just trying to show how clever you are not?

• Marc Phillips

May 23, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I’m one of those 67 year old douches you speak of . Love great sports cars and now I can afford a new one. I’ll wave next time, sorry.

• marvin wanetick

May 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Well First, I have a 39 year old 911S, that I bought in Europe and brought back, after a couple of years driving in Europe. A douche, it is not and I can assure you, that whatever you drive, I can leave in the dust…

• Roadworrier

June 1, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Nah, most of us are over 50. The 30-50 year olds have kids and can’t afford Porsches, or if they can they have to buy Cayennes for their sweatsuited soccer-mom wives, complete with automatic so they can have one hand free for texting.

8. jgk3

May 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I would add one more criteria….avoid a car that the owner advertises as never been tracked. If the owner has participated in the PCA (Porsche Club of America) track weekends, the car has been maintained. If the owner didn’t wasn’t already inclined to maintain it properly, the tech. inspection required by the PCA to participate forced them to. Also, if it did have a weak part, it broke and was fixed.

9. nogeeksadmin

May 19, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Calling the 911 “Easy to drive” will likely result in a few deaths for some loyal Men’s Magazine noobs. Well done.

10. Tom

May 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm

First must be a bite to have to live without some of life’s thrill rides. Some of us have made enough money in our lives to enjoy these kinds of toys. My 928 would blow the doors off anything on the road at the time I bought it.

11. GL333

May 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

SouthSide summed it up nicely. HAve you ever tried to change out a clutch in a 944? It’s a pain. And if you don;t know how to do it yourself, you’re going to pay a boat load of money just for labor.

12. LlarryLLama

June 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Finding a 914 or 924 that isn’t rusted out would be a rare find indeed, and what would be the point? You’d spend a small fortune anyway to update the car so that it would be half-way reliable again.

13. tr909user

June 2, 2014 at 4:57 am

There is a yellow 924 for $2800 20 miles away from where I live, I feel is too High$$. good condition, cloth int. well cared for. AUTO 3SPD!!! That kills it right? I wanted to Put a Chevy LS-2 in it for Auto-Cross. The math does not make it worth restoring or 944/968 cloning. Back me up.

14. tr909user

June 2, 2014 at 5:26 am

I bought a 912 Chocolate 4 Spd around 1996. It spent so much time it in the shop. I just gave up on it and the Company went out Biz. Before that I had A Bug they put a Porsche 1776 cc with a Porsche clutch. It was fast as hell, and could stop on a dime.

15. Carrie

August 14, 2014 at 10:24 am

Best to talk to a good mechanic as for the best models and years to buy. Don’t trust anyone when they say they have done their 80 point inspection. Bought a 1989 930 turbo targa and over 7 years, put at least $6000 in it because of age. Replacing rubber around the windows, and most important, replaced all oil line hoses after having a pin hole leak in one hose. AC is still a problem. Installed an extra fan in the whale tale, but will have to replace all AC line to really have good AC plus extra hardware to make it cold. Seems like there is always something you have to spend your money on to keep it in good shape. But it is a great car to drive.