Top 25 Chick Cars That Guys Should Never Drive

VWBeetle

Americans have a special connection to their cars and the open road. For decades there has been obsession with the freedom to select the right car for the job, and hit the open road for family vacations in that trusted vehicle.

American men, in particular, have an obsession with finding the right car to express their personal character.

Men drive SUVs, trucks, and sports cars that have the speed and power to impress.

On the other hand, there are so-called “chick cars.” These cars are slow, dainty, and soft. The following are 10 chick cars that guys should never be caught driving.

1. Volkswagen Beetle

Before launching into the full explanation of why men should never, ever, drive this vehicle, it is important to address one caveat. The original VW Beetle was a much beefier incarnation of this model and was a staple in the California surfer community. If you drive one of those, you are in the clear as far as this list is concerned.

If, on the other hand, you have purchased one of the VW Beetles produced since 1998, you are driving the number one chick car that no man should ever drive. The original Beetle had its origins as a rugged vehicle during World War II and hit the United States in the years following the war with very few changes to its rugged nature.

Following several years out of production, the Beetle was reintroduced in 1998 as a stripped down chick car with a chic design and no power under the hood.

The modern Beetle is neither rugged nor sporty, which should be enough reason for any man to pass on purchasing this vehicle. If that isn’t enough, consider the fact that the modern design and powerless incarnation of the Beetle looks a little like something you should give your daughter when she outgrows her power wheel car. If you want a Volkswagen with power, consider the Jetta or Passat instead.

215 Comments

1. knowsdave

May 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Really surprised that Prius didn’t make the list. Talk about a sissy car that only an intelligent person could love! Agree with the PT Crusier, I really wanted to own one when it first came out, but then we had one as a rental while our Prius was in the body shop. It really left me wanting my Pruis!

• Danny

July 9, 2016 at 7:43 pm

it is in the list

• Adrian

August 4, 2016 at 4:18 pm

It did make the list on page 17

• No Thanks

October 28, 2016 at 3:00 am

Toyota Prius was #16 on the list.

2. alfredo_tomato

May 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

If you are a loser, it won’t matter what you drive. A quality man doesn’t need to strut and preen. He doesn’t need a muscle car, or other props to make him feel like a real man.

Anyway, if a woman rejects me because I have a Fiat 500, then she needs to seek out a man as shallow as her.

• Robert Hanrahan

May 29, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Loser or not, I will keep my ’05 ‘Stang GT.

• Jaye

May 31, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ponies aren’t for losers, they are for people who like to drive. Fun ride. I have an ’88 and a ’65, great cars,

• Charles M

June 2, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Amen. Love my ’13 GT and my son can’t wait for me to pass it down to him in a couple of years.

• dannyb

June 4, 2014 at 3:19 pm

No kid needs a 400 hp passenger car.

August 5, 2015 at 4:49 am

Second that. #Failedparenting

• Bridges Hague

May 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Sure he does. He may sacrifice without it … but a real man does really need a fast cool car.

• tstucker

May 31, 2014 at 11:46 pm

You obviously don’t know what a pleasure it is to drive a sports car like a Vette or Ferrari or Porsche. You have really missed out on true driving pleasure. I never understood the person whose only reason for having a car was to go from point A to point B. Although, it you are from a flat state, why bother, I guess.

• Jaye

June 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I have a 86 Corvette. Why would you assume to know anything about me. You are just some random dude on the web. I was talking about Mustangs, fun to drive and reliable too. I have driven many sports cars, just cause the price tag is high, doesn’t mean jack.

• Man-enuff

July 20, 2014 at 12:26 am

Tstucker, I drive a Mazda 2, not a “mans” car by any stretch, but I got laid 3 times last week by 3 different women, all of them quite attractive by anyone’s standards. How about you?

August 5, 2015 at 4:51 am

I say if you want to get laid, most men will probably have better luck finding some drunk hos in a bar or nightclub. “Patron… You my Ni**a” – Trey Songz

Owning a car is a statement upon your personal attitude and aesthetic knowledge and taste. You can spend 100k on a hummer and have it turn out trashy looking or you can spend the same 100k on a Aston Martin and look classy.

Same with women. Classy – Trashy spectrum. Run the gamut.

• On Burbank

September 16, 2015 at 3:41 am

If a car defines you, then you must be a very boring person to begin with.

• Marc Sumner

September 8, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Agreed. As a former mechanic, builder of custom motorcycles, frequenter of race tracks, cruises, and car meets, and all around automotive enthusiast I actually stopped reading this article at #3. Anyone who dismisses a Miata as a “chick car” is an insecure little man with absolutely no automotive knowledge.

• WestSide87

June 1, 2014 at 1:50 pm

And she will Alfredo!

August 5, 2015 at 4:46 am

Idk man… A car is probably ranked as the third or tied with college education as the second largest investment any person will ever make. If you blow your money mindlessly then what’s to reason that you won’t decide to blow your money on other assets of little importance or value?

Some women may notice this and associate this attribute with insecurity. Now what women would want that in a man she might potentially wed for life? A Fiat is a poor choice in most major metropolitan areas in the USA. It’s small looking and lacks respect of the masses. If you want to make your entrance and exit as dignified as possible. Buy a Lincoln.

Trust me. I speak from 1 year training in a Auto Tech School, 2 years working as a auto technician, 1 year as an adviser, 4 years training in a Fine Art College and 5 bad calls with cars.

• Andrew

August 30, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Fiat made two models for the male gender – a 124 Spyder for boys and the Dino for men

3. Mini Owner, Miata admirer

May 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Your list is pretty good, with two exceptions. The Miata and The Mini. While there are versions of each car that are chickish, the handling and driver interface in both cars make them akin to race cars and an absolute blast to drive. Both have pep beyond their lacking horsepower, handling like a go cart…(all guys love go carts!), and not enough room to put kids or any other representations of responsibility in the interior. So back off on these two..they ain’t cute, their MEAN! I welcome any challengers in their archaic technology, over horse-powered, Manly Mustang or Chauvinistic Camaro to a SCCA Solo 1 race…you can tell me how the weeds look as you rocket off the first hairpin.

• Farm-all

May 29, 2014 at 11:35 pm

@Mo/MA : I drive a ’64 International Harvester C-1100. Possibly the most “Butch” vehicle on the planet. And…I could not agree with you more. Writing off Miatas, Minis (not to mention the Turbo Beetle) shows a stunning lack of car knowledge. I love my old truck, but it won’t corner, accelerate, or stop anywhere near what a Mini can do. Plus, you can honk and wave as I stand, crying, at the gas pump (with my single-digit m.p.g). Finally, there’s this: the old girl isn’t exactly a babe-magnet, either…

• Frankie

June 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm

wow single digit MPG. That’s horrible Farm. I hope its worth the expense.

• Kirk Hilles

May 30, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Agreed, the Miata is certainly NOT feminine with its low profile bodywork, smooth manual transmission and non-soft ride. Its designed to be easy to work on which isn’t feminine either. My wife does NOT like driving mine.

August 5, 2015 at 5:10 am

Your Miata sucks. It’s insecure feeling when a truck drives by you. There is practically no evidence of a grill. Meaning it appears to lack metal. It might be made entirely out of plastic. The sound insulation must be terrible. The mere sound of a scooter’s 2 stroke engine might frighten your passengers and your cat.

It’s wheelbase is short and rightfully so since its a sporty coupe, but this mean’s the ride is harsh. If a man wanted a harsh ride, all he has to do is find himself a honey in jail.

The grill anchors the vehicles design in whether it’s manly or not. The rear of the car has more room for experimentation but never forsake the front of a car. Also the hood looks like it would have gotten dented up badly if it were in Boston’s most recent hail storm.

• Stephan Kirsch

May 31, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I’ve always liked the Miata. it’s a blast to drive AND race!

• Mini-Owner-Wanna-Be

May 31, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Awesome reply! Thanks from a Mini Owner Wanna-Be

• Baachus

June 1, 2014 at 1:55 am

I agree, my Miata was the funnest car I’ve ever driven.

• Old Yeller

June 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Might rethink that Miata and consider one of the Audi TT convertibles.

August 5, 2015 at 5:24 am

Audi TT is forever a girl car. I’d love to hear you argue otherwise.

• Nobama

August 7, 2015 at 4:01 am

2012 Audi TT RS
          Power: 335 hp @ 6500 rpm
          Torque: 332 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

C/D TEST RESULTS:
          Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
          Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph

Google ‘Car and Driver 2012 Audi TT RS’ for the rest of the details. And if you still don’t get it, you don’t have a clue.

Perhaps you can explain how you determine the gender of a car. Do you look under the hood? Stick your hand between the seats?

• Tony Wallace

June 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Third generation MX5 will leave most muscle cars in the trees as soon as the road gets twisty. I agree that the big HP cars do better on turnpikes, but take any exit and you leave them behind when the road gets snakey.

Of course you want a manual 6 speed tranny, not the automatic flipper shifters that seem to attract the new generation of “manly” youngsters who learned to drive playing video games.

August 5, 2015 at 5:23 am

Slalom circuits are fun to race on. I’ll give you that much. And muscle cars are designed to only go straight and fast. But that’s the point. Ever heard of the phrase cut and dry. Straight and narrow. Straight shooter? Do those terms sound remotely familiar? They are commonly associated with describing the masculine and feminine.

How about: Curvaceous and plump. Bent out of shape. Did a person ever say to a women during times of war, “to grow a backbone”? No because women never traditional needed the courage to fight and kill. Anyways…

It’s not about curve hugging ability of a car. It’s not about raw power during a drag race. It’s always been and will always be about the balance.

Italy has the leaning Tower of Pisa while America has New York’s Twin Towers. Let that sink in for a bit.

• Chris Benoit

February 13, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Yeah bro, sick! If it doesn’t guzzle gas and flip when you try to turn, it might as well have a vagina on it! Fuck actually having a fun time behind the wheel, that manly engine growl has to be there to drown out your hulking insecurities.

August 5, 2015 at 5:00 am

Yeah but having the sprint of a Tesla and the agility of Lotus Exige doesn’t make them 100% manly. Ability of the car and it’s exterior and interior styling must have synergy in the proper appearance to be akin with being a manly car.

Clint Eastwood had only 1 horse in Pale Rider and he is the epitome of the western man.

4. $31482479

May 29, 2014 at 7:10 pm

The Toyota Venza needed to be up there.

August 5, 2015 at 6:00 am

Second that

5. 0.3E9m/s

May 29, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Chicks dig my 2001 Insight. Some people don’t have to compensate by buying a he-man car.

6. njlou

May 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm

ok!

7. Jack T.

May 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm

What do almost all the cars on this list have in common? One guess. It must be embarrassing (or it would be, if the person were aware of it) to be a guy with such obvious size issues.

A real man’s automobile is big! And powerful! That is, a man who has to make his car a substitute for something else.

August 5, 2015 at 5:52 am

It’s not about making up for a lack of anything. When you can afford a nicely designed car it shows that you have confidence and self respect. Having a large dick really makes you nothing but a dickhead, dickbag, bag of dicks, douchebag and the rest of the dick terms. I mean chances are pretty good that most of the blood will drain to your dick anyways so see what I mean?

The best females want a man with real sensibilities and good taste. One compliments the other in any successful relationship.

“Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that’s real power.”
      – Clint Eastwood

• Jack T.

August 14, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Impressive, how this response ignores (or fails to see) my point and instead goes on about having a “nice” car. I like nice cars too.

The comment concerned what factor makes these automobiles qualify as feminine, and here it appears to be physical size.

8. knarf714

May 29, 2014 at 10:47 pm

The prius should be on this list. The Miata not so much. The Mini and the VW not because they are chick cars but more so because they are mechanical disasters.

9. obs20

May 29, 2014 at 11:43 pm

WTF!!! A confident man is comfortable driving anything! You’ll find me in the tan minivan with the gun rack

• Cat Judo

January 29, 2015 at 10:11 am

Silly redneck, that’s only because you bred too many younguns to fit in the crew cab dualie anymore, plus the cops got wise to your dented Econoline van on those “ice cream runs”…

August 5, 2015 at 5:25 am

And you’ll find yourself behind bars within minutes of the public seeing you behind the wheel. 😉

10. LibertyToad

May 29, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Miata: “lifeless performance”? Uh, no. The most fun I’ve had in a sports car. Not a ton of power but that isn’t the point of the car–the point is handling and balance and for that it’s one of the best sports cars I’ve ever had (except for my ’91 RX-7). It was a very tossable and well-behaved car–tons of fun. I’ve had cars with twice the horsepower that were very, very fast, but they just weren’t the same as the MX-5 I had.

• Baachus

June 1, 2014 at 2:06 am

I agree. I’ve owned modified Mustangs and Camaros that would run like raped apes, but as far as driving and handling were concerned they didn’t come close to my Miatas.

August 5, 2015 at 5:31 am

The argument is about whether it’s a girly car or not. Does it have the manly attributes?

11. Buster000

May 30, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Actually that double headed double tailed push me pull you car (#2) looks cool.

12. Super Hamster

May 30, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I’m a guy and I love the Bug new or old. Besides the newer models come with a hot babe behind the wheel.

13. Laughing AtYou

May 30, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Sounds like ALFREDO_TOMATO, Mini Owner Miata admirer, and mx5ftw need their man cards taken away. You guys probably look really cute in your man-pri pants, tortoise-shell sunglasses, and frosted hair while going to Barnes and Noble in your “cute” cars. When are your headlight “eye lashes” supposed to arrive?
    A man just needs something reliable enough to get him to work everyday and carry his family around in comfort.

• blip

May 31, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Gee, I’ve been driving a Mini for over eleven years (in Minnesota winters, no less), and it’s been reliable enough to get me to work every day. You enjoy your mobile land mass, “Laughing.” I’ll be laughing while I run circles around you– and waving bye-bye when your behemoth lands you (and your family) upside-down in a ditch.

August 5, 2015 at 6:03 am

But your Mini sounds like Disney’s Mini Mouse. It doesn’t seem as strong as say,a Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln MKZ or a Rangerover.

My family rides in comfort, endurance, security, and confidence. Don’t forget dignity. Where as your car needs to make a dash and leap for something. My Lincoln has already made it in life.

No need to rush.

August 5, 2015 at 6:00 am

Amen

14. Mini Driver

May 30, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Served
    20 years in the military with tours in Iraq and Saudi, worked with Special
    Operations Forces of all Services, married for 20yrs with two kids and I drive
    a Mini Cooper S. Sure if you get the basic Cooper in yellow or baby blue it’s a
    bit of a chick car, but the Cooper S is a turbocharged go-cart that handles
    like it’s on rails and the Cooper Works is even faster with 210bhp. As for
    “tall guys” not being able to fit in it, my 6’4″ father-in-law
    fit in mine just fine and remarked on the headroom.
    Oh, and my other car is a minivan.
    How ’bout “Top 10 Cars Guys Compensating for Something Drive”
    1. Dodge Challenger
    2. Ford F-150 Raptor
    3. Chevy Camaro
    4. Dodge Charger
    5. Hummer any model
    6. Ford Mustang GT
    7. Dodge Ram Pickup
    8. Porsche 911
    9. Any import with a coffee can-sized exhaust and a wing bigger than a 737
    10. Chevy Corvette

It’s kind of up to you if you want to be defined by the car you drive.

• Laughing AtYou

May 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Add to list:
      F-250 or any other 3/4 ton truck that is driven by someone who DOESN’T make a living hauling heavy loads.
      Chrysler 300- I’ve never seen one driven by anyone who didn’t have a gangster fixtation
      Escalade
      Plus points deducted for:
      -Lifting your truck to the point that a step needs to be added to get into it
      -Lowering your car or truck to the point that you have to slow down when you turn into driveways etc…
      -paint graphics

August 5, 2015 at 4:31 am

I second that comment on Chrylser 300 – Ganster Fixtation

• tstucker

May 31, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Careful now. Vette’s are really fun to drive.

• TC

September 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I’ve had a Vette (C5) and found that 7/10ths of the owners don’t take them to 3/10ths of their potential.
        The majority of Vette owners have them so people will say “Nice Car” to them when they take them out of the garage (4 times a year), and so they can stomp on the go-fast pedal to accelerate in a straight line.
        Sure, the Corvette has potential on the track, but on the street it’s just a car for d*cks.

August 5, 2015 at 4:33 am

Vettes rear lights are rumored to have inspired the latest Nissan GTR lights

• Peter N

June 1, 2014 at 12:18 am

so in order to offset the girly car you drive you have to first qualify that you are a “man”. Who is compensating here?

• captainoblivious

June 1, 2014 at 11:37 pm

My wife had a Mini and that is one of the few vehicles I didn’t have to put the seat all the way back in when i drove it. It had more leg and headroom than my Tacoma…but then again a Tacoma is probably not a “real man’s” truck.

• Nathan Smith

June 2, 2014 at 3:35 am

thats not exactly correct, i for one drive a honda that could be described as number nine, but with the performance to match #s 1 3 4 6 8 & 10, but you should probably reconsider the sight of all the trucks with more than 6″ of lift. now theres compensation.

• Robert Mcnair

June 2, 2014 at 6:19 am

as the former owner of a 65 austin cooper s i can tell you what a go kart is and at 2900 lbs the new ones arent,by my standards anyway.i took a ride in a friends raptor in the mud,never been in a 4by that compares.watched his nephew turn 103 and low 13s in an 05 mustang gt.kid works his butt off for school and that car.i spent the 80s buying what passed for hotrods until i realized i was just an ugly dude in a nice car.now days it’s whatever pos that’ll get 30+mpg to get me back and forth to work.

• HenryJ

June 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm

A 125cc shifter cart does 3gs in the corners. The mini Works does 1.02g. It is not even close. Just advertising nonsense. Check out your local professional Kart track……. by the way 3gs hurts your ribs but it is fun. A mini is a steel car with front wheel drive and a vertical format engine…… The Lotus Elise can pull 1.06 with is the best a production car does….

August 5, 2015 at 4:33 am

Nobody understands you here. fyi

• Nobama

August 6, 2015 at 5:54 am

No surprise you don’t understand. You think cars have genitalia.

August 7, 2015 at 4:32 am

I’m not sure you have the ability to actually appreciate the aesthetic qualities of a car. Keep talking numbers man. It’s not impressing anyone.

• Nobama

August 11, 2015 at 3:58 am

I also appreciate aesthetics far more than the average person, but it should balanced, and utilized, with function.

• Kyle Babcock

November 17, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Okay I am just reading your comments and you sound like a real asshole. Stop trying to make people on the internet think that you are cool. What makes you think that you know the first thing about women. You keep going on and on about how to pick up “classy girls”. Bitch your name is Alexander Chu. I’m surprised that you aren’t all civic master race in this bitch. Asian lookin ass. I guarantee that what you drive really does not matter to a woman, unless you are trying to pick girls up off the street. Look at all these people with real jobs, wives, kids, and happy lives. You are trying to tell them that their cars don’t attract women? Bitch please. They are happily married with their lives on track. Look at you, Mr. 40k a year mechanic. “I have experience in the car industry. I know what I am talking about when it comes to women.” You are a fool. Maybe if you weren’t such an ugly, piece of shit person, the car that you drive would not matter to the girls that you talk to.

• Derek Stiles

June 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Was this list really your, “Top 10 cars I can’t afford so I delude myself that they suck” effort?

Seems like it. I’d take any of the 10 of your list over the list presented, and it’s got nothing to do with being “seen,” and everything to do with fun to drive.

• Grendel65

September 20, 2014 at 1:21 am

Any man that doesn’t drive a V8 rear wheel drive car with a six speed is gay!

• Cat Judo

January 18, 2015 at 7:29 am

Pffft… I wish. Gay guys attract women like catnip attracts cats…

For the record, my Miata may have only half of a V8, but it does have a six speed manual…

• CPofWC

February 7, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Could not agree more. Nothing screams “small member” to me faster than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck jacked up with $10,000 worth of worthless accessories from a 4×4 shop on it. Even more so if the family obviously can’t afford such a vehicle. And those “coal burner” diesel trucks, yeah, I’m looking at you pee wee. Now, I love trucks, and there isn’t a manlier vehicle out their than a 4×4 pickup, unless its an old rwd pickup, but you can drive a manly truck without driving a “look at me” truck. I drive a Grand Marquis. Its big, its comfortable, and it screams “I could give a rat’s left nut what you think of my car!” As for attracting attention, if you have a lower middle income job and you are driving $70,000 worth of car or truck, all you are telling women is, “My car is the most important thing in my life, and always will be.” When a man becomes a dad, he puts all that juvenile teenage wang waving behind him….because he’s a MAN!

August 5, 2015 at 4:41 am

Now if you buy a car that screams, “I could give a rat’s left nut what you think of my car!” Then women will also associate your lack of taste with your lack of sensibilities. Most likely leading to attraction of women who were raised on a farm.

I guess everyone has their own taste in women so more power to you if your after that type.

• Jon Gauthier

May 25, 2015 at 3:41 am

I’ll agree with you if you’re talking about newer models of these cars, but any man who doesn’t dream of a ’68 Camaro needs to have his guy card revoked and start wearing capree pants.

• Michael Ormsbee

June 12, 2015 at 6:22 pm

you mad bruh? having a car that is actually fun to drive is different than needing to compensate. but go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

August 5, 2015 at 4:38 am

You need to be aware that cops don’t respect you simply because you are motivated and excited to drive your “fun-to-drive-car”. Females aren’t event attracted to mere fun unless you are after young naive teenagers.

Real men attract real women with real manly cars. Now don’t get confused and buy a RX7 or a Shelby Mustang. I wonder if Mensmagazine wrote an article on what cars attract females.

Anyways, your acceleration leads to a few seconds of suspense that soon translates into fear of death to most women riding in your car. What they want is more complex than Vtec or 350BHP or 1,2,3.0 Gs.

August 5, 2015 at 4:30 am

This author is has good knowledge on this matter. I don’t care if someone has 20 years in defense contracting with 2 different continents. A lack of knowledge is a lack of knowledge. People will still make mistakes in their choice of cars and this isn’t a minor issue like mismatching your socks with your pants.

Cars as we all know are rather large objects; meaning they make a large fucking statement. You know… the way a giant bill board has a larger affect than your home theater system’s 60 inch flat screen.

If you cant tell the difference between a chick car and a manly car then I suggest you take a lesson in art 101. Otherwise face the fact and reality and get ridiculed by onlookers.

The Cooper S version is a pretty beastly slalom car. I’ll give you that.

• 2013_srt8

August 15, 2016 at 1:48 pm

your just salty your wifey won’t let you get a cool car

15. Hawkflyer

May 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I am 6’3″ tall. I have no issue in a Mini. In fact I have to move the seat forwad a bit to drive as the car CAN accomadate taller people. Clearly the author of this article has never sat in or driven a Mini. Mine is a 2005 with a Cooper Works package. It makes over 210 HP and handles as though it were on rails.

• Joshua Richardson

April 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Yep. He’s just plain factually incorrect about that. 6’1″ here and I have a 6’3″ish friend who has one too. There is more room than I would ever need in the front seat. Of course you couldn’t fit anyone behind you at that point.

16. James Cooke

May 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Back in the bad old days, when I was still a fuzzy cheeked teen, I learned that any time you depended on your car to attract the girls, you (and the girls!) had other, more serious problems! Al_tomato (below) is right on target!

August 5, 2015 at 5:44 am

Use the car to accentuate your other strengths. But no matter what, people will judge you based on first impressions. Cars make strong impressions, so buyers really have to do their research and contemplation.

17. Ethan Gill

May 30, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Those pod cars…all of them.

18. Kirk Hilles

May 30, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Do you know what a “real” man drivers. Whatever he wants. A real man doesn’t care what other people think of him and drives what he enjoys driving.

• Michael Morrell

May 31, 2014 at 4:22 pm

what a real man “drivers?” A real man drives whatever he wants even if its completely gay looking and reveals his inner queer.

August 5, 2015 at 4:23 am

art does have masculine and feminine qualities. i think the author of this article was working off of that angle. your angle is of complete ignorance and lack of care aka idgaf

• 2013_srt8

August 15, 2016 at 1:50 pm

no real man drives a miata.

• Tony

June 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

There’s a novel thought.

• Notthatn2u

June 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Confident enough to drive one of these cars, but feels the need to defend their actions… um huh?

• Jordan

June 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm

It’s pathetic concepts like those promoted in this article that produce the Elliot Rodgers of the world: “No man in his right mind would drive a hatchback and expect women to look fondly upon him.” Really?! I’m with Kirk Hilles and all the other like-minded commenters…

• Tony Wallace

June 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Elliot Rodgers did use a “manly” black BMW to maim pedestrians and bicyclists ….

• Waz

December 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

…says the man driving the hot pink Beetle:)

August 5, 2015 at 4:22 am

that is also called a real lack of imagination

• Meyhem

August 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm

You just keep telling yourself that.

19. RightWingStuff.com

May 30, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Where’s the Nissan Juke?! lol

20. G. Bose

May 30, 2014 at 5:07 pm

So the Miata is on the list of cars that ‘guys should never drive’? I have had 3 and none of them have felt ‘lifeless’ or ‘uninspiring’.

Some of my son’s friends made fun of him for driving my car, saying it was a ‘girl car’. To which he said ‘Maybe, but I don’t know any girl who minds being picked up in this car!’

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 5, 2015 at 5:28 am

What you meant to say was probably, “but I don’t know any girl’s who’s minds are being picked up within this car!” After you kid son totals your vehicle with another man’s daughter in the car with him.

A kid should start off with a low key safe vehicle that isn’t a pain to drive and a eye sore for most people including the cops.

21. Peder

May 30, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Actually I think it takes a pretty well adjusted man to drive one of these. When I see a guy in Vette, you know there is a sad story to be told. Best case scenario, male menopause and you got the bucks to buy a Vette as a third vehicle and try to recapture your youth, fine! (It doesn’t work). Other than that, you are usually talking major insecurity issues, a lifetime of rejection, or worse. But the type of woman you want to settle down with either doesn’t care what you drive, or would be impressed that you drive one of these chick cars because she will get to drive it too. Yes, these are chick cars, they are also chick magnets.

August 5, 2015 at 5:42 am

Chick cars do not make the same cars chick magnets. Women are attracted to men. Heterosexual men and women are attracted to each others opposite traits.

E.G.1 – Man has a male appendage vs Female has a vag
      E.G.2 – Man has more muscle weight and strength vs Female higher fat concentration and lack of strength
      E.G.3 – Man has a broad chest vs Female voluptuous breast

Now try to think of some similes. How about… The hood of the car has broad and strong shoulders of a Marine. Or try… The Miata has mosquito sting size taillights of a womens titts.

And face it, the boot of the Miata only has room for your Prada bag, Chihuahua and Jimmy Choo clutch.

22. JC

May 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm

BMW 3-series is sadly missing.

23. Enzo

May 30, 2014 at 6:43 pm

The Articles states: “Do you really want to be driving a car around that your girlfriend describes as cute? If she thinks it’s cute, the odds are that every other woman out there would describe it the same way.” and the problem with that is? I see this as benefit. – Chick magnet! – Great pick up (no pun intended) opportunities.

24. NoMoreMisogyny

May 30, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Why do you consider that cars that are uninspired, underpowered, meek, or ugly are only fit to be driven by women? Masculinity does not need to equal misogyny, just as it doesn’t dictate that a man can only drive a muscle car (cool as they are). My handsome, confident, masculine husband happily drives a Honda Civic since his MR2 died, not because it defines him, but because it was a gift that cost him nothing.

August 5, 2015 at 5:59 am

Is the pencil the man or the eraser end of it the man? The tip is the female and the eraser is the man. The female creates where as the male destroys. Thus is the logic you must all try to see here when you compare the designs of cars.

You can draw straight lines that resemble the lines of marching military men or you can have curve like edges of a flower petal. The author of this article is not arguing about whether or not the driver is questioning whether he is a man or not.

We are questioning whether the car resembles a female in structure and performance.

25. MMM

May 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Yeah, you blew it on the Miata. Every guy I know who’s driven one loved it

• Baachus

June 1, 2014 at 2:04 am

That’s true. I let my friends drive mine and they all fell in love with it.

• Fr.Duffy Fighting 69th

June 1, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Girly car, sorry.

• Derek Stiles

June 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Even the name sounds a touch girly.

August 5, 2015 at 5:30 am

Second that

• Frankie

June 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Miata is not a chick car just a smaller sports car. I test drove one and the only reason I didn’t buy was because there wasn’t enough protection around me.

August 5, 2015 at 5:29 am

There you go. Evidence to my previous comment. Security. That’s what women really want.

26. DiscoHarvey

May 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Wow, you had me nervous. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the Mini at number 10, and thought you were going to miss it.

All in all, a good list! But I’ll disagree with the Miata. It’s fun, perfectly balanced, relatively quick, and a damned good bargain at under $25K. I agree that it’s kind of like a moped: great fun, you just may not want to get caught by your friends with it.

27. Gubben

May 30, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Yes, my 1996 MIata is cute…I admit it. I had to add roll bars to mine and rhino liner the front ahead of the headlights in order to man it up a bit. That said it is the best car I have ever owned bar none from the standpoints of excitement and reliability. Since I supercharged mine I walk away from most Mustangs and left a BMW750 in the dust on a freeway onramp. I out corners most cars out there. Absolutely a great car; most editors of car enthusiast mags agree.

28. Gubben

May 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Okay, I’ll admit my 1996 Miata is cute. I had to add a knarly roll bar and put rhino liner ahead of my headlights to man it up a bit. That said it is the absolute best car I have ever owned both in terms of enjoyment, handling, and reliablitiy. Besides, it always comes up in top ten sportscars lists of all time put out by the editors of just about all the car enthusiast magazines. Personally I trust their lists above which ever metrosexual made this one.

29. Cat Judo

May 31, 2014 at 4:17 am

I knew a guy in high school who was a Volkswagen nut. After his Mk. 1 GTI was rear-ended and totaled, he salvaged everything he could out of it and spent months refurbishing it all himself. The engine was dissected and rebuilt with all sorts of German performance goodies, while the suspension was upgraded with track capable parts. When it came time to put all this stuff in something, he chose a completely unassuming brown Mk. 1 Cabriolet. This was before slammed Civics grew so popular, mind you. Anyway, it was a total chick car in appearance, but with all the old bits from his GTI plus all the enhancements he had done, that stupid Cabrio was stupidly fast. I drove a ’70 Firebird at that time, and local street racers wouldn’t leave me alone, but Mr. VW would challenge them, get scoffed at, then leave them behind. It was from him that I learned that sleeper cars rock.

30. talonz

May 31, 2014 at 4:54 am

wow.. This list lost all credibility when I saw the Mini.. Seat yourself in a Mini John Cooper Works and see how how you feel after that. Most girls I know love to get rides in my Cooper S too. 😉

31. Tman

May 31, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Hmmm…My 5-liter Monster Miata wasn’t wimpy at all

32. Kristopher Vincent

May 31, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I won’t drive a car I think is ugly (and pretty much all of those are). Not because it is a “chick” car. Painting them some pastel color is questionable, though. I don’t like tiny cars, either. On the other hand, I don’t like *driving* large vehicles. It should be noted that any woman who could be considered that shallow and materialistic will flock to a guy in a “chick” car if it was expensive.

33. Strattonlad

May 31, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I would pay money to see you try to keep up with me in the ’93 Miata on a twisty road. Tough little car. Nothing breaks, nothing falls off, 30mpg, and it is a lot of fun to drive fast.

34. Nobama

May 31, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Only simple, shallow minds apply gender to vehicles.

As others have stated, a real man drives whatever he wants and doesn’t give a damn about what others think.

August 5, 2015 at 6:14 am

Shallow minds lack the depth to really look and appreciate the aesthetically pleasing qualities of art and design.

Deep minds consider all angles of perspective. You probably look at a car, kick the tires and ask the sale agent, “so how many miles per gallon for this one?”

I’ll be damned if you had the intelligence to differentiate a male monkey from a female monkey.

• Nobama

August 6, 2015 at 5:18 am

Nope. I look at all angles…far more than the average person. I also understand physics, engineering and performance. A small, lightweight sports car with a low center of gravity will offer outperform any SUV or truck.. Yet many people today will look at a car like a Mazda Miata or even a Porsche Boxster or 911 and call it a “girl’s car”. WTH?? The MX-5 is the most raced car ever built. There’s nothing girly about it. Yet somehow these moron’s shallow minds associate a smart sports car as “feminine” based solely on how it “looks” to them, or based on some random observation of who they believe driives them (seriously, do people really pay attention to who drives what? Only simple shallow minds do such things). These same people think a big truck or SUV looks masculine and call it a “man’s” vehicle. They are the ones that buy trucks and rarely ever put anything in the bed. They just think it makes them looks strong…manly…whatever. Idiots. These same people are adamantly against ever buying a minivan even though it’s a lot cheaper, more practical and offers a better on-road driving experience than most SUVs. They’ll spend $10k more on an SUV based solely on how it “looks” to them, and how *they* will look to others while driving it. They’ll NEVER take it off roading (the entire original reason to own a SUV). In fact, the entire car industry years ago started building SUVs based on car frames (instead of truck frames) and without 4×4 drive, just to meet the demand of these posers. Most SUVS today are nothing more than high riding cars…modern day station wagons, if you will.

Cars are inanimate objects. They don’t have genders. Each is designed and engineered to meet a specific purpose in mind. Only simple-minded morons assign gender to them.

• Nobama

August 6, 2015 at 5:21 am

Nope. I look at all angles…far more than the average person. I also understand physics, engineering and performance. A small, lightweight sports car with a low center of gravity will offer outperform any SUV or truck.. Yet many people today will look at a car like a Mazda Miata or even a Porsche Boxster or 911 and call it a “girl’s car”. WTH?? The MX-5 is the most raced car ever built. There’s nothing girly about it. Yet somehow these morons’ shallow minds associate a smart sports car as “feminine” based solely on how it “looks” to them, or based on some random observation of who they believe driives them (seriously, do people really pay attention to who drives what? Only simple shallow minds do such things). These same people think a big truck or SUV looks masculine and call it a “man’s” vehicle. They are the ones that buy trucks and rarely ever put anything in the bed. They just think it make them looks strong…manly…whatever. Idiots. These same people are adamantly against ever buying a minivan even though it’s a lot cheaper, more practical and offers a better on-road driving experience than many SUVs. They’ll spend $10k more on an SUV based solely on how it “looks” to them, and how *they* will look to others while driving it. They’ll NEVER take it off roading (the entire original reason to own a SUV). In fact, the entire car industry years ago started building SUVs based on car frames (instead of truck frames) and without 4×4 drive, just to meet the demand of these posers. Most SUVS today are nothing more than high riding cars…modern day station wagons, if you will.

Cars are inanimate objects. They don’t have genders. Each is designed and engineered with a specific purpose in mind. Only a simple-minded moron assigns gender to them.

August 7, 2015 at 4:57 am

Well you angle is that of an engineer, scientist, and racer. My angle is of a person of conspicuous consumption, young father and professional livery service owner. A good man needs to consider what he can do for other people. A capable luxury slalom 4-door offers the passengers not only image but the benefits of high end equipment, power, comfort and security. (Lincolns/Mercedes/Cadillacs/BMW/Audies/Etc)

When you buy a car that displays economic power, you effectively attain or maintain a given social status. This provides economic benefits that lead to greater fortune, comfort, and luxuries.

On the flip side, buying a flashy race car leans more towards someone who just enjoys speeding, tickets, penalties and are usually overly flashy. Almost invidious in consumption. Imagine blowing $400k on a Ferrari or the more mainstream sport cars like: Miata MX5, RX7, Corvette, Altima/Maxima, Mini Cooper, & etc.

In a collision contest, I’ll bet the heavier vehicle will almost always crush the lighter weight sport cars. Both types of cars will get totaled, but in the process, the riders of the luxury heavy weight vehicles will suffer less trauma and damage.

• Nobama

August 11, 2015 at 4:26 am

Mainstream sports cars like RX7 and Altima/Maxima?? What are you talking about? RX7 hasn’t been built in over a decade. Altimas/Maximas are 4 door sedan.

You sure don’t know much about cars, do you? Except maybe how they “look” to you.

RE: When you buy a car that displays economic power, you effectively attain or maintain a given social status.

Maybe in your own imagination, or in the minds of other simple-minded fools (whom of which, I have no desire to attempt to impress). In fact, as much as I have always loved and appreciated the engineering and performance of German cars, I purposely have avoided buying one, partly due to the status symbol they have become. I don’t want people thinking I bought it for that reason, simply because too many people do, just like you are said. BTW, my dad brought home a Mercedes from Germany in 1967 when most Americans had no idea what it was. He bought it mainly for the performance. He couldn’t care less what others thought. Funny thing is, most people hated it! They thought it looked “boxy” (which it did, compared to the America cars at the time). Mercedes were still rare in America then (M-B didn’t have their own US dealerships til 1965). But by the mid 70’s, everyone knew what they were and the whole status symbol thing took over. My dad was disgusted by it. Nothing but a bunch of pathetic posers trying to impress others. I feel the exact same way

• Nobama

August 7, 2015 at 3:09 am

Nope. I look at all angles…far more than the average person. I also understand physics, engineering and performance. A small, lightweight sports car with a low center of gravity will offer outperform any SUV or truck.. Yet many people today will look at a car like a Mazda Miata or even a Porsche Boxster or 911 and call it a “girl’s car”. WTH?? The MX-5 is the most raced car ever built. There’s nothing girly about it. Yet somehow these moron’s shallow minds associate a smart sports car as “feminine” based solely on how it “looks” to them, or based on some random observation of who they believe driives them (seriously, do people really pay attention to who drives what? Only simple shallow minds do such things). These same people think a big truck or SUV looks masculine and call it a “man’s” vehicle. They are the ones that buy trucks and rarely ever put anything in the bed. They just think it make them looks strong…manly…whatever. Idiots. These same people are adamantly against ever buying a minivan even though it’s a lot cheaper, more practical and offers a better on-road driving experience than many SUVs. They’ll spend $10k more on an SUV based solely on how it “looks” to them, and how *they* will look to others while driving it. They’ll NEVER take it off roading (the entire original reason to own a SUV). In fact, the entire car industry now builds most SUVs based on car platforms (instead of truck frames) and without 4×4 drive, just to meet the demand of these posers. Most SUVS today are nothing more than high riding cars…modern day station wagons, if you will.

35. MMikeJBenN

May 31, 2014 at 4:51 pm

This seems like it is for young single guys. Yes, the New Beetle, the Rabbit, (later Golf), convertible, and the Smart Car really are girls cars, but the others? See just as many guys as girls driving them. Personally, I think Jap cars are girlie cars. They look meek and un-assuming.

36. MMikeJBenN

May 31, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Plenty of guys drive and like the PT Cruiser, often customizing them. Did you know that this vehicle originally was supposed to come out as a Plymouth? Too bad they dropped the Plymouth, as it would have made a great one. A Chrysler version should have had a longer front end and 8, or at least 6, cylinders.

37. Orv

May 31, 2014 at 6:46 pm

This article has it backwards. If you want to attract women’s attention, drive something *they* like. The biggest chick magnet I’ve ever owed was a ’75 Microbus with a big cheesy Hobie Cat decal on the side.

38. Will

May 31, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Ha! The Geo Tracker is nothing more than a rebranded Suzuki Swift.

AS to the Mazda Miata/MX-5, there are those MEN who can argue for the Miata being a good, sporty, and FUN little roadster. BTW: I’ve also heard the Toyota MR-2 as being labeled as a chick-car… which is sad as it does have good lines on the later models before it was dropped from production. (It does suffer from no real storage space though.)

Something another article, which rehashes some of these same things as not to be caught dead in about Electric cars and Hybrids. (BTW, if you like saving gas, they can and do, but…) The total TCO (total cost of ownership) over the life of these is usually somewhere equal to or more than the TCO of owning a Hummer (which is noted as a gas guzzler.)

39. 45 cal

June 1, 2014 at 12:10 am

Your placing the Miata on the list causes questioning of your auto experience. Miata was designed in CA with the premise that starting with the MG and designing it correctly and with quality. It stands in a class by itself and has the record for the longest selling models in the auto industry. Power and performance are closely balanced into an excellent small sports car. With only three body style changes and then only to incorporate engineering advances it is the one car that most men keep for a long time. With all due respect to Corvette, can you say that about any of your manly macho cars.

40. Baachus

June 1, 2014 at 1:53 am

A Miata might be a little on the girly side, but it was one of the funnest cars I ever drove. Not near as fast as my Mustangs, Camaros, or vette, but was definitely more fun.

41. Baachus

June 1, 2014 at 2:02 am

I’ve owned two Miata’s and I couldn’t agree more. Excellent handling, the best shifting, and it could stop on a dime. Not to mention the ease of putting the tops up and down.

42. flick666

June 1, 2014 at 7:54 am

The Mazda Miata is extremely popular in West Hollywood.

43. Scot McKay

June 1, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Three things:

1) I’m not tracking with the argument that New Beetles are underpowered as an argument in support of original ones being more many.
    2) The right Miata setup can dominate SCCA racing, so that would have to be a practical exception
    3) Tall people fit well in Minis.

44. collinsfriend

June 1, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Minivan- for YEARS I’ve called it the scourge of the road…associated with soccer moms on phones, and older models- “practical”, slow vehicles and cheap on resale. MY favorite car was an MG, fast powerful (had been in races) used to race the BART- and whoever- never lost. Clutch power!!! Also used to like the 2002 XTERRA I had, but the 2010 6 cylinder Rav4 was FAST- 45-100 in seconds. Not expected, but nice to know. Traded it in for the somewhat slower 4 cylinder Rav4 because I needed 4WD and better gas mileage. Still pretty fast however. The full bed, 4 door V8 Tundra has a lot of pick up too. Love to shock people with it.
    Oh yes I’m a female. My husband also enjoys the vehicles….and the motorcycles too.

45. Random_acct

June 1, 2014 at 3:41 pm

VW GTI is a hatchback…and no man should ever be caught driving one of those? Really?

46. Random_acct

June 1, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I agree about the Fiat 500 and VW beetle. Chick cars for sure.

47. skolaz

June 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm

A real man is a good father and has no problem driving his children in a minivan. Putting your children before your “vanity” is the sign of a real man. Something I think is lost on the author.

• Billy Batts

June 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Here Here! And furthermore women have told me that being a good father is and being involved in your kids lives is as sexy as it gets.

48. bobbobitybob

June 1, 2014 at 5:00 pm

This is just a list of cars that the writer doesn’t like, or that won’t ‘get chicks’. That really has nothing to do with the essence of ‘chick cars’. You won’t ‘get chicks’ in any crappy old car, but that doesn’t make them chick cars, at all. Totally different concepts. Same with power. Aggressive powerful cars are ok for expressing your aggressive powerful adolescent maleness, but every car that’s just sensible transportation is by no means a ‘chick car’. Again, totally different concepts.

August 5, 2015 at 6:30 am

This article is also semi out of date now.

49. usedtobeconservative

June 1, 2014 at 6:15 pm

For the vast majority of SUV-driving men, a minivan (like the Honda Odyssey) would be a be a more practical choice that would better address the way that actually use their vehicles. For example, you can load a lot more stuff into a minivan with the seats folded down than you can into a midsize SUV like a Ford Explorer. I would think that such practical considerations would be a mark of “manly” common sense, but the writer of this article seems to believe otherwise.

August 5, 2015 at 6:29 am

The author is judging the vehicles inside and out. Guts don’t make a man a man. If it still quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it’s a duck. The manliness of the ducks personality just makes the creature a mismatch like the way Nissan mismatched their Murano.

Imagine a duck with the courage of a man. That shit would look ridiculous. You gotta wear your suit with a tie not a scarf. Clowns screw up their outfits don’t screw up yours when you buy your car.

50. Ninernation

June 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm

You wanna look like John and Jim celebrating their one year wedding anniversary? Drive around in an Audi TT convertible

51. dale gross

June 1, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Where’s the Toyota Rav4?

52. captainoblivious

June 1, 2014 at 11:32 pm

“the Mini is one of those vehicles that larger men are going to have to fold themselves up to fit inside of comfortably.”

Ignorance really shows in this statement…unless the writer is referring to the back seat.

It hard to take this list seriously when the Mini is on it but the Grand Am is not.

53. Anchovy Garbanzo

June 2, 2014 at 3:07 am

I love miatas. They are fun as hell to drive. Who cares if they chick cars. I sold my WRX to get a Honda Fit and I love it.

54. Mike Higgins

June 2, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Unless it’s snowing out, minivans are as capable of doing ‘man work’ as any SUV. I hauled 1700 pounds of wood in my wife Sienna a couple of weeks ago. I don’t drive it everyday but it’s handy to have it when I need it.

55. WhenYouSayTaco

June 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Yeah, that’s great. Some of us don’t have any choice. I’m lucky to have a car that even runs.

56. Dejan Brankovic

June 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If I have 20 miles to pass from point A to point B in a short period of time I do not give a “# @ # k” what color and what kind of car is

57. Ashcan

June 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Guys, if the car is cute, DON’T buy or drive it.

58. Elizabeth Linsley

June 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

How are these Chick cars exactly? I would totally date a guy for who he is, not his car. I agree with Kirk Hiles a real man drives what he wants and is not defined by metal and fiberglass. If I want a car that turns me on, I’ll drive it. Porche 911 would be my pick.

59. Ashcan

June 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

The Kia Optima just barely escapes the curse of cuteness. I want one.

60. James

June 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Apparently this author has never taken a Chevy Tracker off road. I have a Suzuki Samurai and my father has a tracker. The two will practically go anywhere, including areas that most 4wheel trucks dare not go. It may not be “manly,” but I’ll take being able to get where I’m going over being stuck in a ditch any day of the week! On a side note the author completely missed the Toyota Prius, which easily beats everything else on this list.

61. Heather Gallay

June 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Haha. First of all, I work in the auto industry (at a digital marketing agency specializing in auto dealerships). I hate Miatas – but my guy loves them (however, he doesn’t drive one) – and I always tease him about it. But, truthfully, the idea that men shouldn’t drive particular cars because they’re not masculine enough is just silly and sexist.

August 5, 2015 at 6:13 am

It’s strength in design and representation of self image. It’s not sexist of the author to alert unwary consumers of an image that is inherently being portrayed by their very expensive asset.

Manly cars are just one of the many options out there for the uber man or the not so manly man out there who are in the market for a new car.

62. Frankie

June 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

With gas at almost 4 dollars a gallon I will proudly drive just about anything that doesn’t rape me at the gas pumps. You can save thousands a year just by driving a fuel efficient vehicle.

August 5, 2015 at 6:24 am

“It’s not about hugging trees or being wasteful either. You just gotta find that balance. Taking care of yourself takes care of more than yourself. That’s the sweet spot.”

Buy a Lincoln

63. bigjames

June 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Perfect!

64. Duh

June 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Jeep Cherokee and New Mustangs. Drive around town all day for work and almost never see a guy driving them. If a girl says she’s into cars, chances are she drives a new mustang

65. StamfordCT

June 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

This silly list reminds me of one about what type of dog a man should own. Naturally, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Dobermans, and other macho breeds come to mind. Forget it! At one time, my wife and I took care of a teeny tiny little Yorkie. The thing was literally too small to walk safely on the street. I would tuck him inside my jacket with just his head sticking out. Women went crazy! They’d come up and start petting him and cooing at me about “how adorable” he was. I’d let them pet him for as long as they wanted. Talk about chick magnets! I was sorry to see him leave. Funny, my wife didn’t share my sorrow.

• NofDen

August 11, 2014 at 4:59 pm

But would you want to marry a woman who loves Yorkie’s?

66. jimmd

June 2, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Missing from list:
    Crossovers (with the exception of Subarus and maybe the Durango)

Cross off the list:
    Miata- rear wheel drive is almost inherently cool (and not a chick car)

Minivans- a man who values function over fashion and knows how to wisely spend his money, instead of wasting it on number 1, drives what makes sense

August 5, 2015 at 6:10 am

Minivans are family cars and they offer nothing but function. In the same light, one might say that my lawnmower is just as manly as your van. But it is just not something you will catch me driving through the city in.

I saw Adam Sandler driving his lawn mower around town once. In a movie…It’s not a manly car and it won’t be considered manly because its in a category of its own.

Let me usher in the idea of full size luxury sedans and slalom 4-doors. Those are typically in the man category.

-_-

67. LeroyLovetaco

June 2, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Volkswagen CC and Chevrolet HHR also need dishonorable mention

68. Sasha

June 2, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Disagree on minivans.

If the have removed all the rear seats, it IS acceptable for a man to drive a minivan.

Also Miatas. They are awesome and great fun to drive. If you don’t like Miatas, you don’t like driving.

69. apprzer

June 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Google “Monster Miata’s” and tell me that is a “Chick car” as it blows the doors off anything you have.

August 5, 2015 at 6:21 am

Google totaled Miata and you will learn that this vehicle gets crushed in the event of a collision the way a can gets crushed by a frat boy. Now would you want a car made of frangible materials like a beer can or would you rather have a strong uni-body chassis and IIHS top rated protection?

70. Derek Stiles

June 2, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I’m about to buy a minivan, but they don’t have my favorite color:

Invisible.

No damn way I’m driving a minivan. Sorry.

71. Daniel Carr

June 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Author gets a 3/10 score. Major gender issues. Especially showing an image of the latest Beetle model flies right in the teeth of VW’s redesign philosophy, where they wanted to shift from the original New Beetle (which was the best design ever for the car (I have owned both the original and the New)) to a more “masculine” (dull) one. I will give him the PT Cruiser and Geo Tracker as just bad designs, period, and the Cabrio because…well, yeah.

72. Peter Lewis

June 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Few cars will give you as much fun as a Brabus Smart For Two.
    An easy 60mpg with affordable tax and insurance.
    Who cares what car one is seen driving, fuel economy, reliability and fun is what motoring should be all about and remember fuel is still over £6 a gallon and probably will remain at that level.

73. Ezekiel 25:17

June 18, 2014 at 2:00 am

The white trash kids of Little Dixie region (SW Ar-Kansas, SE Oklahoma) like the Geo tracker and also the Daihatsu Rocky. Both are capable of navigating the narrow forest service roads so they can find their plots of mary jane, hidey holes for TNT, sheds for shine cooking, and other pursuits. The Rocky was made for drug warlords mostly in the mountains of Central America. It even features an elevation gauge on the dash showing both pitch and tilt. Now if you want to know the most ultimate chick car its actually a truck. It was manufactured exclusively for women and no man can or will own one unless he’s a girlyboy. Its the Ford Splash. It looks like a GMC Sonoma with a vijaja.

74. carsman

July 19, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Couldn’t disagree more on the Jetta. Auto transmissions are so much better today that this is hardly a valid criticism. I don’t own a Volkswagen, but I think the Jetta is actually one of the few good looking smaller cars.

75. carsman

July 19, 2014 at 2:04 pm

While most of the cars on this list are spot-on, the authors blew it on two names, the Jetta and the Accord. The Jetta TDI with the right wheels is a great ride. And the Accord may not be fueled by testosterone, but the V6 is still a tight, reasonably fun to drive, practical car, especially the sedan. I would add almost any coupe to the list, the Camry (especially the Solara), and the BMW Z4 and 1-Series.

August 5, 2015 at 6:22 am

The American nation would be in a uproar if you put Camry up here as a chick car. The Camry is the current NASCAR pace vehicle. NASCAR is like car porn.

76. Suicide By Cop

August 13, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Way back when the Del Sol might have been for women but now that it’s a rarity, it’s a cool car for anybody.

77. Chris Flum

August 14, 2014 at 6:06 am

I wasn’t into cars that got chick’s as I had cars that were made for handling and speed, Chicks were an after thought to my adrenaline rush, I dated the girls I liked and I hope it had nothing to do with my cars, In fact I used a pick up that was beat up and dirty to take girls out on first dates, If they still liked me then that meant more than showing off my cars. Some guys said I had nice toys to compensate but sideways on a dirt road at high speeds was the love of my life!

78. pezcleo

August 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Disagree on Dodge Magnum…. Kool looking, a Hemi and enough room to your guitar amps and PA system…. sorry real man could drive that!

79. Andrew Jahns

September 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I want to point out something funny – Michael Schumacher, whom many consider one of the, if not the best Formula One drivers of all time, drivers a Fiat 500. Granted it is a Abarth, but still. Get well Michael!

80. Mishi

September 19, 2014 at 11:54 am

Really? Nothing pink or purple? How about a Panther Pink Hemi Super Bee? Or a Plum Crazy Hemi ‘cuda? Charger,Challenger,Super Bird, GTX? Any of those old MOPAR’s were awesome in pink or purple.

81. Spitfire337

September 24, 2014 at 9:39 pm

… the car I drove in drivers ed was a 2010 mustang. I now own a 2010 Honda accord v6 coupe. I can tell you it is a fun car to drive. It can take turns nearly as well as the stang, not to mention the v6 engine has quite a good get up and go. Of course it does have quite a bit less power than the stang, but it is still deceptively fast, and handles well. Not to mention the coupe body looks very sleek and streamlined. I honestly see more young men driving this car than I do women. Also if you look at the side shot of the new 2015 50th anniversary stang and over the very front and very tail end, it looks exactly like the 2010 accord. XD

82. k0be

October 15, 2014 at 1:51 am

disagree about the mini, I would add the porsche boxter and the audi tt

83. asshole

November 7, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Real men aren’t afraid of being called gay. If you’re afraid of that, ironically you’re a faggot. (no offence to real gay people. don’t take it seriously)

84. Alexander

November 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I think the editor has a point though. He’s judging the vehicles based on real art concepts of female and male. I mean c’mon guys… Do you really think a VW Beetle or a Jetta is a manly car? Reality check.

I studied at Universal Technical Institute for automotive technologies and graduated from The School of Museum of Fine Arts. What the man says is legit.

85. GenralCody

November 9, 2014 at 5:59 am

NO BODY, should EVER drive a PT Cruiser

86. Vasya Bricklyn

December 26, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Cars are not living things. They do not have a gender. Terms like “chick cars” are discriminatory, just like saying someone runs or throws “like a girl.” Hey, how does a girl run? Because the last time I checked, most girls out there can run and throw better than any out of shape guy (lets see here, that’s 35% of the US population) – or almost as worse- watch almost any first pitch thrown by a male celebrity. I’d give a lot more respect to the guy who has a Geo Tracker than a new Mustang- because he probably realizes the virtue of its engineering- a competent mechanic that can actually fix his own vehicle.

87. Cat Judo

January 18, 2015 at 7:24 am

I have to laugh, as I’ve owned two of the cars on this list. My ex and I swapped cars back when we were married due to our daughter’s imminent arrival, so I ended up with a Suzuki Sidekick (the identical twin to the Geo/Chevy Tracker). Sure, it was an oddly shaped runt, but it was a good commuter car for driving into the city, and I could flip the Jeep-like convertible top back and open the windows because the A/C was broken. It also could not get stuck in normal driving, as it was a tiny four wheel drive. We decided to sell the Suzuki when we bought her dad’s old Ford Ranger, which had always been meticulously cared for even if it was older. The guy who bought it paid the asking price, telling my ex he needed a four wheel drive that was smaller and narrower than a Toyota Hilux because of the number of trees on his land. He was buying ours because he had rolled his previous vehicle, a Suzuki Samuri, one too many times and it had had too many miles to attempt another repair.

I drive a 2001 Miata now. I got it from my father, who bought it new as his retirement present after a misspent youth driving MGB’s and Fiat 124 Spyders. I like the styling, as it avoids the cuteness of the original Miata and the butched out appearance of the current car. But the article really misses the boat when it comes to the driving experience. My Miata doesn’t have gobs of power, but it easily gets out of its own way, much like an MGB. But the handling of this car is nothing short of extraordinary. Very very few cars can corner as well, and the quick steering and light weight make direction changes almost instantaneous. The brakes pull the little car to a stop faster than anything I’ve ever driven too. I’ve taken the car to amateur night at the local road course and have easily run away from cars with three times the power, simply because they get bogged down in the turns. With stock suspension and stock tires. The car has a six speed manual and a real clutch too, in an era when most cars either feature flappy paddles on the wheel or wimp-shifts that do all the work. Finally, and perhaps most importantly for this publication, CHICKS DIG MIATAS! I get more positive attention driving that car than I ever did driving my vintage Firebird, and if the interior is too small for other activities, there’s always her place or mine.

88. JordanJ

January 20, 2015 at 1:45 am

You do realize that there are more Miatas racing on any given weekend than any other production car, right?
    It’s a modern Japanese incarnation of the classic British roadster. If you find one lifeless, then you need to learn to drive in more than a straight line!

August 7, 2015 at 5:24 am

The author may have said the Miata was lifeless but what he may have meant is how overly tamed it is during the corners.

A car that has life is more akin to a wild stallion. We all know they are strong and lean and big as fuck. But when you try to tame a stallion, it might throw some kicks your way… and some drivers want a car that does what he wants it to do. Even

That makes a car lively in the authors sense of the word. Think of old school Mustangs where you can easily kick out the rear. Or some more modern cars like the Mitsubishi Evo(AWD), BMW Z3 (RWD), or the Ferrari 360 Modena(RWD)

89. prince duomarr

February 1, 2015 at 10:45 pm

I drive a 2011 Charcoal grey Toyota Sienna minivan, with full tinted windows. That thing is more macho than anything on the street.

90. sharkdriver

February 6, 2015 at 12:56 am

I object to listing hatchbacks as ‘chick cars’. I had a ’78 Chevy Monza with a 283 and a 4-speed in it,. It was a hatchback and it was FAST. The hatchback I have now has a 4.7 Lrt, Silicon-Alloy V-8 with Bosch K-Jet fuel injection, 10:1 compression, 365 DIN Hp-295 ft/lB torque, a Z-F 5-speed manual transaxle with a LSD diff, and geared to top the car out at over 180 MPH. It weighs 3332 lbs with a full tank of gas and my skinny ass in it. NO computer or Environmental Perfection Agency crap on it ( NO catalytic converter, EGR, smog pump, O-2 sensor, no fuel or RPM limiter) Definitely NOT a “Chick Car”. It’ a 1983 Cobalt Blue PORSCHE 928-EURO-S, and yes it IS a hatchback.

91. JeffWW

March 23, 2015 at 4:07 pm

at 320lbs my daughters mini was a blast to drive with lots of room

92. Random Person

May 6, 2015 at 10:37 am

This is one of the most sexist articles I have ever seen.

93. Captain Obvious

June 18, 2015 at 3:11 am

I agree with Kirk Hilles. I mean, I drive a Toyota Celica GTS, yes it’s actually a hatchback. It depends on what you do to the car and how you drive it that determines what kind of driver you are.

94. Jay Zackery

July 22, 2015 at 8:16 am

No man should drive a Honda or any Korean car PERIOD!

95. Eddie Boyer

July 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

“The problem is that the Miata is about as lifeless and uninspired as a convertible is going to get.” Wow you did not just say that

August 7, 2015 at 5:06 am

The only life you experience from driving a Miata is the thrill of taking fast and tight corners, shifting and reving the engine to its high-Japanese-like motor limits and the final adrenaline rush you experience as you prepare in fear of whether you will get T-boned by a heavier/larger vehicle during a dash to beat a yellow light.

A real manly car needs manly designs to the exterior, good creature comforts, adaptable suspension, good sound proofing, good exhaust tone, good interior materials, good engine, good creature comforts and good security features.

That is what separates a mans’ can from a boys’ car.

96. Alexander Chu

August 5, 2015 at 6:23 am

It’s fallen off its man wagon. It’s now a chick car. Trust me

• NofDen

August 5, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Sorry, I don’t buy your chains.

August 7, 2015 at 5:01 am

Your comments are troll in nature and do nothing but provoke thoughts of whether you are capable of typing intelligible responses that invoke any or no interest at all.

• NofDen

August 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I disagree. It’s just a car.

97. Ayr

October 11, 2015 at 10:24 am

So you belive that a Mazda MX-5 manual transmission with 1.8 150hp engine with top speed of 210 km/h is for women?

98. Richard Giacco

January 10, 2016 at 12:24 am

Supercharged miata here. Take off on my buddies c5 vette all day long.

99. Phil

January 12, 2016 at 1:55 am

Cut the Ridgeline & Avalanche from this list, and I’d agree 100%.

100. Martymo

February 21, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Stick to men’s health issues or maybe fashion. Something you know at least a little bit about.Obviously, automobiles are not on the list of things that you understand. I guess you think that a man isn’t manly unless his ride weighs 3 tons and guzzles at 12 MPG. Do what the big 3 automakers tell you on teevee. “You are what you drive.” Ram tough. Built like a rock. Big and clunky and stupid, designed to die early. So chug lite beer and wash down a quart of bacon grease while you’re at it. Come on, be a real man.

101. Melinda Norvell

July 19, 2016 at 11:54 pm

So….. What do you drive because clearly if a Lexus isn’t good enough for you.. There’s something. a little off. And it’s a Targa, not a convertible 🙂 my money is on him driving a mustang.

102. Adrian

August 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm

This is inaccurate. Some men drive minivans maybe because they need a way to transport their family and an sub gets worst gas mileage and is more expensive. And with the maneuverability the Miata isn’t lifeless sure it’s a little girly but not lifeless this list is inaccurate.

103. ChayD

August 9, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Miata? Really? Probably one of the cheapest and best handling cars out there (even if the non-fourth gen versions do seem a bit girly. For the record, I don’t own one, but have driven one.)

104. ChayD

August 9, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Just read the rest of the entries; basically, anything that isn’t a tire-screeching-fuel-‘guzzlin-supercharged-‘murican ‘stang or a ‘vette is taboo, right?

105. J

September 17, 2016 at 5:10 pm

My ’15 Prius is great. I’m sort of mad that they didn’t get a nice design going until the 3rd generation, then fucked it over again with the ’16. But, that being said, my ’15 is spacious, quiet, looks nice after a wash. It’s perfect for traffic jams and just all around more peaceful and enjoyable to drive than, say, a Camry.

106. Tavio

October 1, 2016 at 5:22 pm

My sister sweet 16 I don’t know witch car I should get i want to get her a Lamborghini I also drive a gtr

• Yo momma

December 5, 2016 at 10:14 pm

As a woman I have to agree with the list and add I wouldn’t be caught dead in any of these either. To be fair I don’t think I’m your average chick though. I’m sure there’s plenty of ladies that would enjoy a metro sexual duchebag like the drivers of these cars. Someone they can go to the tanning bed with or get their eyebrows waxed. No thanks.